JaneyT
Hello all, I only found this site this evening and am reaching out . I'm 56 and live in the Uk (Gloucestershire) and am struggling. I was in Hospital for 12 weeks and can now walk without a stick but drag my left leg when I'm tired. I always use my stick when it's busy as sensory overload makes me anxious. I'm suffering from Depression and feeling very isolated. My left arm is beginning to wake up and I can now move my fingers. I hope you aren't thinking why am I depressed? It's a long story but I am. I also have no control over my emotions. I weep. I also haven't slept properly since the stroke though strangely slept in a hospital during the terrible heat of the summer in a hospital bed that wasn't long enough as I'm 6 ft tall. I live alone in a first floor flat and have amazing friends. Oh I had my stroke on 21 May 2018 justvfeeling so isolated right now. I slipped onto the floor last night from my sofa and had to ring 999 as I couldn't get up. I could write more but don't want to bore you all too soon
Quote 0 0
strokerehab
Hi Janey. It's not uncommon to experience many of the symptoms you describe after stroke. I just wanted to encourage you to hang in there. This forum was created in hopes that stroke survivors and caregivers could connect, however, it hasn't been very busy. The stroke-rehab website has lots of information about stroke, so hopefully that can help you.  The website is frequently visited, but the forum section may end up being ended since it hasn't increased in activity. I know there are some very busy forums out there. You might try  http://www.strokeboard.net/ as there are many posts on that forum. Don't give up and visit your doctor if you continue to feel depressed! I'm glad that you have friends - it's very important to keep socializing after having a stroke. Good luck to you, and feel free to send any questions you may have to info@stroke-rehab.com
Quote 1 0
agatha
hello Janey. I too just found this site. My stroke was on March 26, 2018, but finding resources has been difficult, as I live in a rural area in VA>, USA. For me the foremost hard part after the stroke, was feeling like who I was had disappeared., and there was no one to talk with who understood, that with a part of my brain damaged, part of the essence of who I am was missing, and I didn't know how or if I could get that back. That part about sensory overload and it's concomitant anxiety, really hit home. I've never been an anxious person, but the stroke sure changed that. I am getting a handle on it now, but my family was more stressed out by my anxiety, than I think I was. I had been very active spending as much time out in nature as I could walking miles in our beautiful country side, and boom! Now I know in order to maintain my equilibrium, i have to be outdoors every day for some period of time. Even if it is just dozing in the sun.light seems to be restorative for me. Hope to hear more from you.P.S. I love your part of England 
Quote 0 0
agatha
[QUOTE username=strokerehab userid=4780331 postid=1305911853]Hi Janey. It's not uncommon to experience many of the symptoms you describe after stroke. I just wanted to encourage you to hang in there. This forum was created in hopes that stroke survivors and caregivers could connect, however, it hasn't been very busy. The stroke-rehab website has lots of information about stroke, so hopefully that can help you.  The website is frequently visited, but the forum section may end up being ended since it hasn't increased in activity. I know there are some very busy forums out there. You might try  http://www.strokeboard.net/ as there are many posts on that forum. Don't give up and visit your doctor if you continue to feel depressed! I'm glad that you have friends - it's very important to keep socializing after having a stroke. Good luck to you, and feel free to send any questions you may have to info@stroke-rehab.com[/QUOTE
I have never written a blog before, and really do not know how to do so. perhaps others have had the same quetions. How to get on, how to post, very simple things. Besides  using the computer is not as esy as it once was.
Quote 0 0